Sunday, June 8, 2008

New York Onion Sauce for Hot Dogs

You may remember me talking about making my first batch of home made hot dog buns, that turned out more like long ciabatta bread. Of course, all of this was really just an excuse to try the New York Onion Sauce for hot dogs that I got from Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet. Here's my take on the recipe. It's mostly the same, I just adjusted the quantities a bit. I really like it, though. I think it's just as good on bruchetta, with a little grated cheese, as it is on hot dogs.

Ingredients

1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves of garlic
2 medium yellow onions, chopped
1/4 cup marinara sauce (the commercial bottled stuff is just fine)
1 tablespoon paprika
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the olive oil a large skillet. Add the onions, a bit of salt. Saute over medium heat until the onions start to get tender, then add the garlic. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and start to brown. Add the marinara, and paprika. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to
taste.

Serve over really good hot dogs on steamed buns with horseradish mustard and sauerkraut. This, is hot dog heaven!

No comments: