Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Peanut Butter Pie, Take One

A couple of days ago I started wondering if anyone had ever made a peanut butter custard pie. I like to think I'm creative, but let's face it. Most things have already been thought of. So, I went to Google.

It turns out there's a gold mine of peanut butter pie recipes. Trouble is, most of them are the very same recipe. With only one exception, none of them came close to the custard pie I was dreaming of. Even that one didn't look like it was quite what I had in mind.

I also realized that I wouldn't have time to experiment for a while. So, until the fateful day that I can mess up my kitchen enough to come up with my own peanut butter pie, let me offer you a recipe that I found. It turns out that it tastes better than I thought it would. It's also very easy to make. Yes, I'm adding to the glut of this very recipe appearing on a dozen sites already, but hey. I've always liked baker's dozens.

Ingredients

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
4 oz. cream cheese (or neufchatel)
1 cup powdered sugar
8 oz. carton of whipped topping
1 (9 inch) graham cracker pie shell
chocolate syrup (optional)

Cream together the peanut butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar with a hand mixer until smooth. Add whipped topping and continue mixing until completely incorporated and creamy. Spread into the pie shell, cover, and refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Drizzle with chocolate syrup and serve.

Makes 6 – 8 slices.

No comments: