Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Better than KFC Buttermilk Biscuits

Next to their chicken, and perhaps their cole slaw, KFC's buttermilk biscuits are popular fair at my house. We always seem to fight over who can grab the last one. But I'm not content to buy biscuits when I can make them at home, especially if I can put my own tasty twist on it.

Last post I mentioned trying out a Todd Wilber's version of “KFC Buttermilk Biscuits” from his cookbook, “Top Secret Restaurant Recipes: Creating Kitchen Clones from America's Favorite Restaurant Chains” Making my own biscuit mix, I gave it a whirl.

How did they turn out? I think mine are better than the Colonel's. The addition of the whole wheat flour to my biscuit mix adds a nice nutty flavor. These are best eaten warm the day they're made, though. They still taste pretty good a day or two later, but they're certainly best just a few minutes out of the oven.

Equipment Needed
mixing bowls
pastry blender
biscuit cutter or glass
baking sheet
clean hands

Ingredients
5 cups biscuit mix
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 egg
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup club soda
flour for dusting
butter or cooking spray to grease the baking sheet

Directions

Preheat your oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a small mixing bowl, beat the egg and buttermilk together with the salt.

Place the biscuit mix in a large mixing bowl. Add the butter in small chunks and mix with a pastry cutter or by hand until it resembles pea sized crumbs. Do not over mix.

Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk mixture and the club soda. Mix with your hands until it just comes together, forming a soft sticky dough. Again, do not over mix.

Lay out some waxed paper on the counter top and dust it with flour. Flour your hands and press out the dough to a 3/4 inch thickness. Punch out biscuits with a biscuit cutter* or the top of a glass. If the dough gets difficult to work with, chill it in the refrigerator for a few minutes and that will help bring it all back together.

Place the biscuits on a large baking sheet that's been greased with additional butter or cooking spray. Place in the center rack of the oven and cook for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until they start to turn golden.

Remove the biscuits from the cookie sheet and allow to cool on wire racks.

Makes about 12 - 18 biscuits.

I'm going to experiment with different ways to add the butter to see if I can't get these biscuits to be even flakier.

*I made my own biscuit cutter by cutting the top and bottom off a can of water chestnuts. It works great. Reduce, reuse, recycle!

2 comments:

ThirteenForHalloween said...

Stop it. You're making me drool. ;-)

John Newman said...

The only cure is to make it for yourself. :-)