Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Top Ten (or so) Kitchen Tools

There are some kitchen tools that I find so useful I just can't imagine trying to cook without them. Now, I'm not talking about a stove, oven and refrigerator. There just a given, in my book. We're talking about all those other smaller utility tools that are just too useful to do without.

Here's my top ten:

1. A sharp, heavy duty chef's knife.
2. A really good serrated bread knife
3. A large hand grater.
4. A small hand grater.
5. A set of good mixing bowls.
6. A heavy duty wire whisk.
7. A vegetable peeler.
8. A good can opener.
9. A heavy bottomed non-stick sauté pan that can take being put in the oven.
10. A heavy bottomed stock pot (that can also take being put in the oven).

Now that I’ve got that out of the way, let me give you a few more that I though of. Sure, it makes 15, but “Top ten” just sounds cooler.

11. A heat resistant plastic spatula so I don’t scratch my sauté pan.
12. A rubber spatula for scraping bowls and jars.
13. A heavy cutting board.
14. A decent, but not too heavy, rolling pin.
15. A pair of heavy duty bread pans.

Hmmm. I just thought of a couple more.

16. A set of linen dishcloths.
17. A set of large pot holders. (I hate oven mitts. They never fit me right.)

Feel free to add your own.

1 comment:

mrkhmusic said...

I don't really know why, but I really like wooden utensils for stirring and things.