Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Holiday Cookies

Nothing brings me back home for the holidays like cookies. As a kid, iced sugar cookies and hot chocolate were a favorite of mine during the holidays. My mother would make a large batch sugar cookies, using Christmas themed cookie cutters, and then we would ice them together.

Getting my brothers and I to leave the cookie dough alone long enough that she could actually bake them was a challenge, but it was still fun.

Homemade cookies and Christmas just can’t be separated for me. My kids still like leaving milk and cookies for Santa. One of my daughters is scaring me, though. She told me that Santa must be getting tired of eating cookies because so many other kids leave him milk and cookies. She’s suggested we leave him celery and carrot sticks, instead.

I’m thinking about getting her therapy.

Over the years, different kinds of cookies have become associated with the holiday for me – traditional icebox sugar cookies, spice cookies, chocolate chip, peanut butter, citrus dainties … they’re all delicious. Each one works well with hot chocolate or wassail (the non-alcoholic kind).

They’re also easier to make that you might think.

Over the next week I’m going to share some of my favorites with you. Stay tuned, fellow cookie lovers. These homemade cookies are sure to satisfy even your pickiest holiday cookie monster.

If anything, you should make these so your kids don’t leave Santa celery and carrot sticks.

No comments: