Thursday, December 6, 2007

Sephardic Fish for the Lazy Chef

Sephardic fried fish is a traditional dish during Hanukkah. Fried foods are a staple at Hanukkah, because of the connection to the miracle of the oil. I really like it when it's prepared well.

This version is not it.

This is not the best way to make sephardic fish. It's just that I'm lazy. When I get home from a full day of work, even I don't want to take a lot of time making dinner. It's also hard to get really good fish, that doesn't cost and arm and a leg, in Utah. We're landlocked, after all.

Here's what I do. It's cheating, I know. I'm not really sure its kosher, either, but I'm not up on most Jewish dietary requirements. Maybe one of you will know the answer.

Go buy some decent frozen fish fillets. Get the whole fillets, not the “fish pieces” crap that's really just over-sized fish sticks. Make sure it's the battered kind, not breaded. I think they taste better.

Make sure it's a good brand. You're already compromising freshness and flavor by doing it this way. Don't compromise any more than you have to.

Sprinkle the frozen fillets with garlic powder, salt and pepper, and cook according to the package directions. Serve with apple cider vinegar and/or apple sauce.

Don't worry. This is still fried food. The manufacturers fried it before they flash froze it and packaged it up. Frying it again would be overkill.

Literally.

No comments: