Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tuna with Garlic and Spaghetti

Canned Tuna and I are not the best of friends. I've come to respect it more, over the last year, but it's one of those things that I'll eat because I should, not because I want to. We've been encouraged by various health officials to eat more fish, because of the Omega-3 content. Canned tuna is inexpensive, and readily available at most supermarkets, so I'm using it as part of my “weekly fish dish” at home.

My wife and kids like canned tuna. It's completely weird.

Because I've decided that the benefits outweigh my personal feelings in this case, I'm always on the lookout for new ways of preparing tuna. Here's one that helps smother the flavor of the tuna in garlic. I originally posted this as Kitchen Monki, but here it is for my gentle readers who haven't made it over there, yet.

When preparing canned tuna, I always soak the tuna in a little milk, after draining it. Soaking in milk pulls out the unpleasant “fishiness” so often found in canned tuna, making it much more palatable. Just make sure to drain off the milk before adding the tuna to the dish.

Equipment Needed
Can opener
Mixing bowls
Large skillet
Measuring cups and spoons
Large sauce pot

Ingredients
14 ounces of tuna (two small cans will do)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
3 cloves garlic, crushed
3/4 cup white wine
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 pound dried spaghetti noodles (or linguine)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Lemon Pepper Seasoning as desired.


Directions
Completely drain the liquid from the tuna and put in a small bowl. Add just enough milk to cover. This will take away some of the unpleasant "fishiness" so often found with canned tuna.

Heat the oil and butter in a large skillet over medium heat until the butter melts and stops foaming. Add the garlic and allow it to soften, about two minutes. Do not let it brown.

Drain the milk off the tuna. Add the tuna to the skillet and stir it in. Add the wine and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally, to allow the alcohol to cook off. Add the lemon juice. Cook until a slightly think, fairly smooth sauce forms. Season liberally with the pepper and then stir in the parsley. Add salt and additional pepper as needed.

While the sauce is cooking, fill a pot with water (about 4 quarts) and bring to a boil. Add about 1 tablespoon of salt to the water and then add the pasta. Cook until 'al dente.'

Drain most of the water from the pasta, toss with the sauce, and serve. Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning for an extra kick, if desired.

Makes 4 servings.

Photo by Stasys Eidiejus

1 comment:

John Newman said...

Hmmm. Not a huge fan of capers, I'm not sure.

Do you know about the capers in salt trick? If you drain the capers and bury them in salt, they'll take on and almost lavender flavor, very different from the ones just pulled from the jar.